Last Wednesday, I went to Chester Zoo with my parents and Jacob and Shelby. It’s the largest zoo in England, and quite close to where we live. What made it even better was the fact that we didn’t have to drive at all. We caught the train to Chester and then the bus from there. As an added bonus, they had a combination bus/zoo fare that was less than the original entry price!
But I’m pretty sure you don’t really care about that. Animals. That’s what people go to the zoo to see, and they had so many! Some of the highlights for me were:
- Bat Cave- (Okay, technically the Fruit Bat Forest) They’ve got a huge room of free-flying fruit bats. It’s very dark inside, and there bats everywhere! Roosting in the trees, flying past you, and making lots of noise. I think I might have gotten a bit wet, which isn’t so nice.
- Porcupets- which are baby porcupines. I first saw them when I visited Northwest Trek a couple years ago (has it really been that long?!) and realized that they’re adorable. These procupets (even the name is cute!) were of the African Crested Kind.
- Butterfly House– I could live there…
- Okapi– these are my favorite animals in the world. I had never seen one before, and I didn’t know there was going to be one at the zoo. So I was surprised and overjoyed to find one, and I even got about five minutes of one on one time with it, only five feet away. *sigh* So happy! They’re such beautiful, mysterious and unique animals!
- And lastly, I loved seeing vicuña. There was a small group out in the middle of a field, and I tried calling them over so I could pet them and see if their fur ways as soft as I’ve heard it is (only Incan royalty were allowed to wear clothes made out of vicuña fibre, and it’s illegal to import to the states.) They didn’t come. I tried looking along the enclosure’s walls to see if there was any loose fibre, but there wasn’t any. Sad day! 😀
And now, for some videos. I hope you enjoy the porcupets, the butterfly in Jacob’s hair, and the Okapi.